Cynap Firmware Version V1.12: Release Date 10.02.2017
vSolution Cynap firmware is updated regularly. New features included in the latest firmware version v1.12 are :
- Capture Feature Pack (optional)
- IP camera source compatibility
- Second LAN port for room management systems
- Control of third party peripherals
Opencast Capture Feature Pack
- An optional Capture Pack is now available for Cynap. Additional settings on Cynap can now be used as a capture agent enabling recording functionality to be controlled remotely by an Opencast server.
- Our lecture capture solution is designed to be used with the Opencast environment (open source lecture capture server software). It is not compatible with other systems.
- With Cynap you can record the main screen and an additional video file being recorded at the same time, for example from an IP camera.
- Recorded video can either be recorded to internal storage or to an external hard drive.
- After capture, the recorded file can be uploaded onto the Opencast server.
IP Camera Source Capability
- This firmware update also adds IP camera source capability. Receiving a stream from an IP camera is an important feature particularly when used in a lecture capture application, because it enables recording of the presenter or lecturer alongside the recorded content material.
Second LAN Port for RMS
- The second LAN port that was previously only available for Visualizer use can now be used for a second LAN connection if required, for installations where a room management system is being utilized.
Control of Third Party Peripherals
- Control of complementary products has been added to Cynap. It's now possible to configure Cynap so that it can control connected peripheral devices - eg. the power on / power off of connected monitors.
Please refer to the updated Cynap manual for more detailed information and screenshots:
Link to Cynap Manual
Cynap Firmware Version V1.10i: Release Date 23.11.2016
vSolution Cynap firmware is updated regularly. New features included in firmware version v1.10i were :
- New cloud service: Box
- Modification to handling of user settings
- Annotation, collaboration, and PIN handling updates
- Loop function in the media player for local video and audio
- New AirPlay PIN option in Open Mode
- Revised streaming settings (RTP/RTSP stream, configurable TTL settings
- Increased security: HTTPS/TLS/SSL options
- vSolution Cast for Android (device discovery / Cast ID)
- Additional audio functionality
New Cloud Service: Box
- In addition to the existing Dropbox and Google Drive cloud services, Box is now added as an additional option.
Box is now selectable as a cloud service.
Modified Handling of User Settings
- Loading and saving of user settings has been adjusted to provide better usability. Users will now be advised what settings are found on the USB stick.
- When saving settings, the user will also get a message advising what settings are saved.
- To avoid any security issues, user settings are always loaded as a single block, and will replace any existing user settings that could be remaining on a Cynap system, (eg. if a previous user forgot to log out). On-screen messages will explain what is happening when loading settings.
On-screen user settings message
Annotation, Collaboration, and PIN Handling
These features have been further developed and improved, ready for the next development stage (where in addition to annotation, collaboration sessions will also enable multiple users to collaborate on and edit documents, if the technical prerequisites are in place).
- The extra PINs (moderator, collaboration users, and AirPlay PINs) mean that a reworking of PIN handling was necessary.
- Instead of pop-up dialogs, PINs are now displayed in the status bar.
- In the settings when using Moderator Mode, it is now possible to select whether or not the PIN is displayed on the HDMI2 output screen (system can be adapted to suit infrastructure and customer requirements).
- The back button can be used to temporarily stop an annotation session without losing all logged in users (eg. to continue with a PowerPoint presentation, and return to an annotation session at a later time).
- Using the 'X' button ends the annotation session as before.
- In preparation for future interactive sessions, collaboration settings can now be selected (currently only relevant for annotation).
Message for temporarily stopping annotation using the back button.
Collaboration settings for the administrator.
Loop Function for Audio and Video Files
- A loop function has now been added to the media player, available for both video and audio files.
Control bar with video loop icon.
AirPlay PIN Option in Open Mode
- Using an AirPlay PIN is now an additional option when working in Open Mode. Please watch the video opposite for more information.
AirPlay PIN settings for the administrator.
- Streaming settings have been revised. In addition to the existing RTP streaming setting, it is now also possible to select RTSP streaming. RTSP is a user friendly streaming protocol that requires less configuration.
- Note: vSolution Capture version 1.3 does not support RTSP streaming yet.
- A major additional benefit of the RTSP setting is that in the future it will enable the Cynap built-in access point to send out a stream to multiple devices
Streaming settings for the administrator.
vSolution Cast for Android (Device Discovery / Cast ID)
- vSolution Cast device discovery for Android is now implemented, and an an app is now available in the Google Play Store.
- vSolution Cast apps for iOS and Android enable mobile devices to connect wirelessly to Cynap in network environments where the Bonjour or mDNS device discovery services are disabled. Please watch the video opposite for more information.
- Access to Cynap can be limited to secure connections only (https). The connecting application needs to support SSL/TLS (most modern browsers are supporting HTML5 and SSL/TLS).
- Please note that vSolution Cast is not currently supporting SSL, which means that no control through the app is possible.
- Attention: Firmware version v1.10 offers the possibility to select enhanced security options for Cynap. Updates to WolfVision software and apps to be fully compliant with these increased security options will follow shortly. This is necessary in order to fully benefit from these upgraded security options, and we will give regular updates on progress.
Additional Audio Settings
- It is now possible to use a USB microphone for all purposes - not just for WebRTC applications.
- Some additional audio controls and functionality have been added.
Cynap firmware version V1.08g: Release date 07.09.2016
vSolution Cynap firmware is updated regularly. New features included in the latest firmware version v1.08g are :
- Dual Screen Mode developments
- New user levels
- 802.1x authentication over LAN cable
Dual Screen Mode
Visitors to our booth at InfoComm USA got a preview of this feature. At that time, there were some restrictions in functionality in the areas of annotation, recording, streaming, and audio. Based on feedback received, an improved version is now available, which overcomes some of these limitations.
There are now three modes:
- Both displays have the same content (one or more windows)
- UHD, FHD, and HD resolutions can be selected
- One display is used as a preview display, and a second display shows the content (material can be automatically pushed to the second display screen using the priority list settings, or manually via an icon in the control bar).
- Limitation is that annotation, recording, and streaming only works on the preview display.
- FHD and HD resolutions can be selected.
- Annotation, recording and streaming works on the public display (content is pushed to the second display either via a selectable priority list or manually by using an icon in the control bar)
- When using a source with audio, eg. a video, audio will only be output after the source is pushed to the second screen.
- Output resolution in this mode is limited to 1080p
- At InfoComm we got feedback that the speaker should be able to switch between Mirroring and Moderator modes (without going to the admin settings). This request is implemented and, if configured by the admin, the speaker now gets an additional button in the toolbox.
Selectable modes in settings.
Settings for the Admin
Button in the Toolbox (toggles between Mirroring Mode and Moderator Mode):
New user levels
- Additional user-levels are necessary for development of annotation applications, and in the future also to provide a practical solution for certain collaboration situations (eg. collaboration of multiple users on a single document using Cynap).
- In addition to the already existing admin, and user levels, a separate level for room control systems is introduced (with password) and a level for moderators, providing additional rights (password or PIN, configured by the administrator).
- When a moderator logs in with a password or PIN, a collaboration session can be started (currently only if annotation is active) using a private PIN code which allows several users to work together.
Annotation: view for logged-in admin / moderator with collaboration PIN activated.
- Support is now added for 802.1x authentication over LAN cable connections, for example, for connections between a Cynap and a RADIUS server.
Cynap firmware version V1.06: Release date 27.06.2016
vSolution Cynap firmware is updated regularly. New features included in firmware version v1.06 were:
- Support for Chromecast/Google Cast mirroring
- WebRTC (the route to webconferencing)
- Dual screen mode
- vSolution Cast app for iOS/ Cast ID
- Audio player
- Upload to network storage
Support for Chromecast/Google Cast screen mirroring
Aware of the limitations of Miracast, (eg. the one device at a time restriction) major companies such as Google wanted a better solution for Android device mirroring, and this is why Chromecast was developed. Support for simultaneous Chromecast screen mirroring of up to four Android devices is now added to Cynap.
At the moment only recent Android devices have built-in support for Chromecast mirroring – but older devices can still also connect to Cynap using the Google Cast app. This will change as more devices get native support.
For BYOD purposes, most users are interested in screen mirroring, and this is why we’ve provided support - making Cynap a really versatile solution for the meeting room or lecture hall. Note: There is no Chromecast support for third-party apps.
Additionally, Windows PC, Mac, and Chromebook users can also mirror their browser contents or entire desktop by using the Chrome browser plug in.
Chromecast settings in the OSD.
WebRTC base technology
Base WebRTC technology is now incorporated into Cynap and this is a first step, demonstrating what will be possible for webconferencing with Cynap in the future. WebRTC is a free, open project that provides browsers and mobile applications with Real-Time Communications (RTC) capability. The WebRTC components have been optimized to best serve this purpose. The WebRTC initiative is a project supported by Google, Mozilla and Opera, amongst others and various browsers and operating systems are supported.
WebRTC allows us to make our first experiences with this exciting technology, and also explore the real needs from Cynap customers. This will be the driver for further developments. WebRTC cannot fulfil the need for compatibility with Skype for Business for example, or other proprietary communication protocols used by the many available webconferencing solutions. This need is already identified and we are looking for a solution to meet this expectation. The final webconferencing solution for Cynap will follow at a later date.
With the WebRTC feature a there is also an additional benefit that support is now provided for USB cameras and microphones used during web meetings (USB Video and Audio class). The following devices have been tested:
Logitech Conferencecam PTZ Pro
Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920
WolfVision Cameras with UVC-support (eg. EYE-14)
Revolabs xTag™ USB Wireless Microphone System
Revolabs HD™ Single/Dual or FLX™ with USB audio kit to connect to USB port
For Cynap compatibility, third-party devices must comply to standard USB Video and/or Audio Class.
Settings in OSD.
Result on display.
Result on browser (Chrome) at remote side.
Dual screen function
This feature enables a second display screen to be used to display content from one of the existing open windows on the first monitor in fullscreen. The reasons for its implementation are as follows:
- To give additional flexibility to universities and organizations who currently use two screens in fullscreen side by side.
- For the WebRTC implementation, a dual screen solution is required.
- If required, one screen can be used as a control dashboard, and a second screen can now be used as the main screen.
- Recording or streaming of the second screen is not possible
- No annotation on second screen (except when whiteboard is pushed to second screen)
- Statusbar (and all the related information) is not displayed on second screen
Icon for controlling dual screen feature manually.
Settings in OSD.
Results on two displays (before).
Results on two displays (after).
vSolution Cast app for iOS/Cast ID
The vSolution Cast app for iOS is used in network environments where the Bonjour service (device discovery protocol) has been disabled. The app enables a manual search for Cynap devices, after which users can connect via AirPlay in the usual way.
When activated, the Cast ID appears in the top toolbar of the display screen. The code is used as an alternative to the IP address to add a particular Cynap device to a list of available AirPlay receivers.
Settings in OSD
Result on display (Cast ID for LAN interface in this example).
Audio files can be integrated into presentations, either from a USB stick or from a cloud service. Supported file formats are mp3, ogg, oga, mka, and wma.
Upload to network storage
Files can now be uploaded from a Cynap device for network storage.